Saturday 14 February 2015

Highs and Lows: Hairspray, Peacocks, Freezing Showers, and Convertors

Highs and Lows: Hairspray, Perth, Cold Showers, and Convertors

Here is a blog post about some of the fun, and not so fun things, that have been happening on my exchange to Scotland!


Perth

This was truly an awesome day. One Saturday myself, a fellow Canadian named Adam, and five Australians; Patrick, Emilio, James, Georgia, and Kate all took a day trip to Perth and Scone, Scotland!

I had a blast wandering around this little riverside town, just an hour away from Glasgow. I felt like part of a camera crew as we had; four GoPros, a Nikon Camera, two Canons, iPhones, Samsungs, a Polaroid Camera, and selfie sticks to snap some sick shots with.

We explored the local market, had some meat pies which were delicious - until I mentioned how it reminded me of Sweeney Todd and I lost my appetite, explored the Scone castle and grounds, got lost and hiked 3 miles back into town, had High Tea at one of the best cafes I have ever been to, attempted to walk across ice, met peacocks, almost ate cows, laughed at the crazy Celtic fans on the bus train ride home, and overall had a lovely time in Perth and Scone!

Later that night we went out to see Dillon Francis at the Arches for Patricks' birthday and I had my first ever mosh pit experience and alleyway rave! What a day!












Hairspray

Georgia (Australia), Sarah (Canada), and myself had a girls night out and went to go see a live theatre performance of Hairspray the Musical at Kings Theatre in Glasgow. Unfortunately, it wasn't quite broadway - not even close - but a really good time nonetheless!

We bought chocolate to chow on beforehand which was one of the best ideas we've had! I am pretty sure I annoyed the hell out of Sarah and Georgia with my singing throughout the show, I'm sorry but I  just couldn't help myself ladies! It brought back childhood nostalgia as myself and my cousin Leah had been completely obsessed with Zac Efron and the Hairspray movie when it came out.

We had quite a few good laughs as the cast members began to lose their American accents half way through the show and began talking fully Glaswegian by intermission and sadly one girl accidentally got kicked in the face, but overall the show was a really fun time! Tracy and Edna Turnblad truly stole the show!

Here is my favourite song from the movie!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0Dxsmk-EZ8

A bunch of us also hit up Costco last week - which was the best and worst decision ever. SO much food, SO much money, SO much to carry home, ah well we only had one casualty.










Tinkerbell and PeterPan

Sarah, my roommate, and I had a crazy idea that we really wanted to go to a Disney Themed Party at a place called Garage one Thursday night. But there was one hitch in our plan, we didn't want to spend a ton of money out that night...

We did some research and discovered if you arrived to the bar in costume you would receive free entrance, so next thing you know my lime green duvet cover is being cut up into little tiny bits and pieces and we had crafted ourselves PeterPan and Tinkerbell outfits! 

Unfortunately we had started drinking a little too early in the evening and I played the Roxanne drinking game, this totally did me in. It led to me attempting to skate board in our room, followed by Highland dancing, falling over, and breaking Sarah's ceramic travel mug. Boooooooooo. Worst. Roomie. Ever.

But at least we looked cute right? And don't worry I am totally going to purchase her a new mug. 

Rules to the Roxanne Drinking Game:
1) Sit in a circle with your drinking buddies and alcoholic beverages
2) Alternatively take a drink of alcohol every time the word "Roxanne" is mentioned in the song
3) Move in a clockwise fashion
4) Get really intoxicated

Dare to play?





Cold Showers, Broken Laundry, and Convertors

Caledonian Court is not quite all it is cracked up to be - the biggest annoyance to date you ask? HAVING TO TURN ON THE HOT WATER IN THE MORNING. The hot water has a timer apparently which I was unaware of as I turned on the shower one morning and go to step in and it feels like freaking Antarctica! I forgot to turn on the hot water...so I ran to the kitchen in my towel and jam the button like a million, trillion times, but to my frustration the water was still cold. Grrrr.

The laundry facility has also recently gotten on my nerves, approximately 12 washers and dryers for 600 students with at least 4 constantly broken, yaaaa nooooo, not my idea of fun. The dryer also gets so hot it feels like you are going to burn or shrink your clothes, and Sarah and I had accidentally flooded one of the washing machines...oops!

Now the whole facility is closed until further notice, lovely. I swear we had nothing to do with it!

My final complaint you ask? Convertors, they are actually the worst things EVER. Nothing makes me more angry than it being 2015 and we still do not have universal plugs. Okay maybe thats being a liiiiiiiittle dramatic, but seriously it just makes noooooo sense. I have already melted and busted two convertors! My luck whomps!










Hope you enjoyed reading about some of my Highs and Lows!


Cheers,
Meagan

No comments:

Post a Comment